Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Will my hands ever recover?

Whew! What a weekend! I started on Friday baking/cooking fast and furious and it continued all the way up until everyone arrived on Sunday evening. I don't know how women do it! My hands were so sore because they became so dry from washing them so much inbetwen cooking different things and keeping dishes washed (I don't have a lot of mixing bowls, etc., so most I had to reuse over and over). And my feet! Oh my feet! I'm weird in the sense that I don't stand well. Those that know me probably think that sounds crazy since I have done so many races where I have been on my feet and going for 24-36-45 hours. But the difference was that I was mmoving. If I'm moving, it's all good, but if I am forced to stand, I want to sit down in a matter of minutes.

I am certainly not complaining though, I really enjoyed it and I almost felt domestic in the end. Although, I must confess that I did have to call my mom twice for foolish questions...such as, how to broil something. Embarassing, I know! And I want to bring children in my home?? The poor kids! But I think everything turned out great, with the exception of a candy cane cake that fell apart, but that's okay because the sopapilla cheesecake MORE than made up for it! I almost wish I had never discovered that recipe because I am IN love. I am a cheesecake fanatic as it is, throw a yummy flaky crust and cinnamon and sugar on top? Ahhh, slice of heaven!

All of Clint's family seemed to really enjoy the food too. I hope they did and weren't just trying to be nice. We had a fairly nice time together. But it is hard to see one of Clint's brothers struggle with addictions. He was pretty much a zombie and not really 'there' so to speak. He says he will be going to rehab soon and I pray that happens. Unfortunately, my side of the family is not immune to substance abuse either. We will be seeing my dad for the first time in 2.5 years (since our wedding) over Christmas when we go to Abilene. My sister has been keeping me in the loop and I have to be honest that I am nervous about our visit with him. Substance abuse and addictions like these are so hard for me to grasp and understand. Why would people do it? Why do they hurt the ones they love? How can they put these addictions before everything else and risk their own lives even? Sadly, I know that the reason so many of the kids that are taken out of their homes by CPS is due to the root cause of addiction and substance abuse which leads to neglect and abuse of the ones you love. While I hate that Clint and I have to see this in both of our families, perhaps we will have an understanding and deeper perspective for the kids that do come into our home and become part of our family.

I really didn't intend to get sidetracked like that, but Clint's brother and my dad have really been weighing heavy on my heart lately. Anyway, our calendar is clearing up and now to just make it to Friday, Christmas Eve for some much needed time off and getting to spend time with my family.

1 comment:

Foster Mamalion said...

This is a response to your response on my blog...if that makes sense! LOL Before you buy a SINGLE thing you MUST talk to me! FREE is better that any bargain. I am part of a group known as Legacy. It is a ministry at our church for foster/adoptive families. I house kids stuff and give stuff our to those who are needing it. It is NOT about be in financial need, but about a desire to serve anyone in this situation. I often send requests out to people and get more than I ask for. I recently had someone so touched by us being foster parents that she gave us ALL of her baby stuff from her twins. I am talking truckloads full of wonderful stuff. I have strollers and bouncers and clothes (many brand new). Right now I have given away all the beds, but know that God will provide more when needed. Make me a list of DREAM items and I will work to see that you have them. Dream a little...it will help me clear out my storage building! :)I would so thrilled to supply you with these things! Sorry this is on your blog. I wasn't sure how to reach you otherwise.