Thursday, March 31, 2011

Catching up - March 31st

Somehow I've managed to go two weeks without a post! As usual, we've been keeping busy and nothing too exceptionally news-worthy, but here's a recap:

  • Adoption News: There is no news. Still waiting on our home study to begin. We did however, discover that we will have to take an 'adoption specific training' class in May (3rd and 10th...6 hours total). Seems like there is a never ending list of classes to complete, but we are taking it in stride. I think I've officially decided on a plan for the nursery (I've been waffling a lot lately) and I hope to actually get started on it this weekend rather than just talking about it. And I'm still deeply conflicted on what all I should stock in advance. I will have a crib (that converts to a toddler bed) and possibly a changing table from my sister. I'd like to get a glider as well. I'm thinking I might start collecting some books too.

  • Mentoring: Still going, still feel like I'm struggling to gain any positive ground with the girls. However, I still LOVE hanging out with them and am already getting sad about the end of the year. Their teacher and I did decide on a new plan though: they must earn 3 out of 5 days on green or they don't get to have lunch with me on Mondays. I hope that will encourage them. I know they enjoy seeing me...in fact, they asked me this week why I can't come every day!

  • Tax Site: Still working the tax site every Tuesday, but things are definitely slowing down. Only two Tuesdays left!

  • Choir: Well, I shamefully quit choir. We have had a LOT on our plates lately and since I wasn't really enjoying choir as much as my other commitments, I decided to drop it. I hate feeling like a quitter, but at the same time, I wasn't exactly providing any added benefit other than another warm body. I can't carry a tune in a bucket. I think the reason I wasn't enjoying it was because it just seemed so impersonal. I didn't know anyone in there and it was like we just showed up, sang, and left. While I appreciate the hugeness that is the Mobberly Choir, it makes it difficult to make things intimate and get to know each other. I am still working with the 3 year olds, 9:30 live, and active in our small group. Perhaps there will be other volunteer opportunities through church for me to be involved in later on. However, primarily, I just decided I needed to scale back my commitments. These next few months are our last few months of 'freedom' before our lives are turned upside down with kids.

  • Leadership Longview: On the home stretch. We've been having weekly meetings trying to tie up the loose ends before project day on April 14th

  • Mission Trip: Clint and I were thinking about going on a Mission Trip this summer. We were discussing Romania. However, after attending the missions luncheon to learn more, we just weren't feeling it. We don't want to do one, just for the sake of doing it, we want to have a desire for it, and feel like our skills are being used. None of the other missions through our church are really striking our fancy either. I looked at missions through Buckner online, but not much was listed. I may talk to them in person. In the end, we may just try to do some local community volunteering.

  • Racing: I decided to back down from the half marathon to the 5k and it was a good decision and I still had fun. I somehow managed to win my age group and was the third overall female. I'll take it! Clint had a great run in the half marathon as well! I was surprised when I saw him coming around the corner when he did. I thought it would be several more minutes before he finished. I've also finally made it back into the pool. It was surprisingly not as bad as I feared. Looking back at my training logs, I only swam 2.5 hours all of last year! And i didn't have much more in 2009. So, it's definitely been a long time coming. We have a great guy teaching a group swim on M/W/F, which I think will greatly help me improve. I am also still LOVING my Titan Training class (Art of Strength class at the gym). I am challenged every time and I love everyone's 'let's do it' attitude. This past weekend was the Beauty and the Beast Ride in Tyler. Clint rode (his first time to ride it) and I volunteered as a flagger. Great turnout and great weather!

I think that's the gist of things. We actually have a 'free' weekend this weekend...meaning, nothing on the schedule. I'm in the mood for some serious spring cleaning so that's my plan for the weekend. We'll see how much actually gets accomplished.

1 comment:

Foster Mamalion said...

IN response to your response...ha. We are staying right here, just need more space for our additional ones. We only have 3 bedrooms and that is hard with 5 kids! Praying for you still! Let me know when you have your homestudy. I want to keep praying specifically for you!