Tuesday, September 21, 2010

The Scarlet Letter 'A'

Our conversations on adoption have been interesting. It's all so new and something no one in either of our families have done. Our minds are going a million miles a minute with all sorts of questions. However, I think I am slightly more familiar with it since I know of those who were adopted, even dated a couple of guys who were adopted.

I think one fear that Clint has is that while he will no doubt love this child(ren) unconditionally, he feels that there will be some stigma about the child being adopted. As if, they will be branded with the letter 'A' for adopted across their chest! I tell him that this simply won't be the case. Yes, people will know that we adopted, but that's not going to be the focus when we walk in a room unless we ourselves make it the issue.

I think he's slowly coming around though. As we talk to more people about adoption on our journey to learn all that we can, Clint is amazed at those we know who have adopted or are adopted. He/We had no idea! Hence the reason he shouldn't have this fear of his child being branded as adopted and therefore somehow indirectly supposed to be of less quality or 'different'. In my opinion, this child will be the opposite! He/She will be handpicked for US. Pretty awesome in my book.

I know he is still nervous about telling his parents. In the end, it doesn't matter how our families will feel (my family is already excited for us) because this is our decision. I keep stressing to Clint that the ONLY difference this child will have than one of our own is genetics. That's it! And not to be mean, but neither of us exactly come from quality. We're not royalty. We come from families of abuse in all of it's forms, divorced families, hate, etc. And the reality is, everyone has those issues in their families somewhere. No one is perfect. Besides, I'll be so glad that my child won't be dealing with my complexion or out of control curly hair! :)

Anyway, regardless of the worries of the unknown Clint and I are both still so very excited about adoption. I keep stressing to him that we are going to have to be patient, which can be difficult. However, we know that the time will come when God is ready for us to have a child. We are looking at the long wait time as a blessing because in this time, we can learn, prepare, and get our finances even more secure before we bring a child into our home.

And just because we both found this pretty interesting. Did you know that these famous people were adopted? Aristotle; Nancy Reagan, PRESIDENT General Ford, PRESIDENT William Clinton, Scott Hamilton, Tim McGraw, Edgar Allen Poe, John Hancock, and one of the most famous of them all: Moses. Of course, there are a ton more, I just picked out a few. So, who knows, we could be raising the future president of the United States! :)

No comments: